Brooke Jordan, the author of Cats Will Be Cats, shares some of her favorite famous cat quotes and shares how cats can bring laughter, joy, and a bit of drama to a household.
Cats vs. Dogs
Nothing brings laughter into the home quite like a pet. Most people think that a dog is the opposite of a cat. They are, after all, very different creatures in terms of temperament, habit, volume, and hygiene. Dogs are lovable in their ignorance, while cats are mystifying in their discretion. To my mind, dogs are like human babies, while cats are more like human teenagers. Dogs are innocent, a bit clueless, needy, and unfailingly loving. Like infants, they look to their owners for every need, from food to affection.
Cats, on the other hand, resemble typical human teens. They take pride in their independence (despite the fact that their owners care for and feed them), and so they tend to be a tad ungrateful. They always seem to have an “attitude”—and oh, the drama! They are masters of silent treatment. They may, in a matter of minutes, display both great wisdom and maturity and utter silliness or infantile whining. And yet, when cats show those glimmers of vulnerability and affection, we melt. Those moments mean so much more because they are not a given; they are a luxury.
But I still wouldn’t give a cat the car keys.
Enjoy a few of my favorite quotes about cats and their peculiarities:
- “There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.” – Unknown
- “Everything comes to those who wait… except a cat.” – Mario Andretti, Race Car Driver
- “The mathematical probability of a common cat doing exactly as it pleases is the one scientific absolute in the world.” – Unknown
- “Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat.” – Robert A. Heinlein, Science Fiction Author
- “Dogs come when they’re called; cats take a message and get back to you later.” – Mary Bly, Author and Professor
- “You haven’t lived until you lived with a cat.” – Doris Day, Actress and Animal Welfare Activist
- “Cats aren’t clean; they’re just covered in cat spit.” – John S. Nichols, Printer and Author
- “It is impossible to keep a straight face in the presence of one or more kittens.” – Unknown
- “In ancient times, cats were worshipped as gods; they have never forgotten this.” – Sir Terry Pratchette, Comic Fantasy Novelist
You can find more hilarious cat quotes and cat pictures in Brooke’s book Cats Will be Cats. Available now!